On the surface, changing from http to https is pretty straightforward:
- Purchase an SSL certificate,
- Install your SSL certificate on your website’s hosting account,
- Make sure that any website links are changed from http to https so they are not broken after you flip the https switch, and.
Will http automatically redirect to https?
No. You have to explicitly redirect the HTTP traffic to HTTPS which involves configuring your web server with a rule which returns HTTP 301 status code and a location header beginning with https:// . This will ensure that the browser sends all ensuing requests to the HTTPS port.
What’s the main benefit of switching a website to https?
One of the main benefits of HTTPS is that it adds security and trust. It protects users against man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks that can be launched from compromised or insecure networks. Hackers can use such techniques to steal your customer’s sensitive information.
How do I force a redirect to https?
There are several methods of enabling an Apache redirect http to https:
- Enable the redirect in the Virtual Host file for the necessary domain.
- Enable it in the . htaccess file (previously created in the web root folder).
- Use the mod_rewrite rule in the Virtual Host file.
- Use it in the . htaccess file to force HTTPS.