Can I host my own DNS?
You can host your own name server without a domain name.
Simply configure your computers or router or whatever to use it via it’s IP address.
If you want to host services with a domain name and resolve hosts with your name server, there are a few things you can do.
How do I setup a local DNS server?
- Select DNS from the Administrative Tools folder to open the DNS console.
- Expand the Forward Lookup Zone.
- Right-click on the appropriate domain and choose Properties (Figure N).
- Select the Name Servers tab and click Add.
- Enter the appropriate FQDN Server name and IP address of the DNS server you want to add.
Do I need a DNS server?
Fortunately you don’t need to manage a DNS server or create DNS records to use the Internet. However you need to have access to a DNS server. To access a DNS server you will need the IP address of the DNS server. This is usually supplied to you by your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Why don’t we maintain our own DNS?
Why do we need a Domain Name System? Domain Name System allows users to have the same url or consistent domain name while IP addresses change frequently. We need DNS because without it users would need to keep on checking the IP addresses of others and of themselves to send messages or view sites.