- One of the main disadvantages of the DNS is the fact that its registry can only be controlled ICANN, a non-profit organisation with roots tied in one country.
- DNS queries usually don’t carry any information about the clients who initiated it.
- DNS servers are based on the principle of a slave-master relationship.
What are DNS issues?
Running into an error with the Domain Name System — simply called a DNS error — means you won’t be able to get access to the internet, which is frustrating if it happens regularly. Learning the most common causes of DNS issues and the best methods for fixing them can help you get back online with minimal effort.
What are the two main benefits of DNS?
DNS servers allow standard Internet users to use Internet resources without having to remember port numbers and IP addresses. Even similar services, such as different areas of the website, may be hosted at different IP addresses for security reasons.
How do I resolve a DNS issue?
10 Ways to Troubleshoot DNS Resolution Issues
- Check for network connectivity.
- Verify your DNS server IP addresses are correct and in order.
- Ping the IP address of the host you are trying to get to (if it is known)
- Find out what DNS server is being used with nslookup.
- Check your DNS suffix.
What are the implications of an attack on a DNS server?
Distributed Denial of Service – the attacker uses a botnet to generate massive amounts of resolution requests to a targeted IP address. DNS amplification – the attacker takes advantage of a DNS server that permits recursive lookups and uses recursion to spread his attack to other DNS servers.