Another reason for running your own recursive DNS server internally is network wide ad blocking.
Instead of installing a host based ad blocker on every device, just block those domains/hosts on your name server and everything that uses it is covered.
Can I make my own DNS server?
You need to add at least two “nsX.domain.com” entries, but they can both point to the same IP. Delegate your domain to the names you just created. At NameCheap, you would go General > Domain Name Server setup, and Specify Custom DNS Servers. Then, enter the two (or more) names you just created “nsX.domain.com”.
What are the advantages of a DNS server?
DNS servers allow standard Internet users to use Internet resources without having to remember port numbers and IP addresses. Even similar services, such as different areas of the website, may be hosted at different IP addresses for security reasons.
Why don’t we maintain our own DNS?
Why do we need a Domain Name System? Domain Name System allows users to have the same url or consistent domain name while IP addresses change frequently. We need DNS because without it users would need to keep on checking the IP addresses of others and of themselves to send messages or view sites.
What should I set my DNS server to?
To change your DNS server, head to Settings > Wi-Fi, long-press the network you’re connected to, and tap “Modify Network”. To change DNS settings, tap the “IP settings” box and change it to “Static” instead of the default DHCP. Depending on your device, you may need to check an “Advanced” box to see this setting.
How do I setup reverse DNS?
To set up and verify reverse DNS:
- In the SendGrid UI, select Settings > Sender Authentication.
- In the reverse DNS section, click Get Started.
- Next, select the IP to set up reverse DNS.
- Add a subdomain.
- Next, you need to add all of the A Records on this screen to your DNS host.
How do I set up an external DNS server?
- Select Configuration→Configuration→Security Engine from the menu.
- Expand the Network Elements branch.
- Right-click Servers and select New→External DNS Server from the menu.
- Enter a unique Name and IP address for the server.
- Enter a Time to Live (TTL) interval in seconds.
- Enter an Update Interval in seconds.